Portswood Primary School Nursery is located in a fantastic new purpose built building, which is part of Portswood Primary School. This ensures a smooth transition for the children into the Primary School but also they feel part of the wider school community from a young age.
We are delighted to have a large bright and airy environment, with direct access to our own covered outside play area. We are also fortunate to have direct access to the environmental area which we share with the rest of the school. There is a large variety of toys and equipment for the children to play with, both inside and outside.
Our Aims and Values
At Portswood Primary School Nursery we believe strongly in a safe, nurturing environment, where each child is able to feel happy and secure. We believe that learning should be an enjoyable, varied experience that takes place both indoors and outdoors. At Portswood Primary School Nursery we believe that it is important to give your child the best start to their development and education and therefore believe that as parents and guardians you play a vital role alongside us in this.
Successful personal, social and emotional development is critical for young children in all aspects of their lives and gives them the best opportunity for success in all other areas of learning.
We provide our children with the lifelong skills and essential tools needed to grow and prosper in the future.
The children will be treated as individuals and will be given the opportunity to develop important social skills such as co-operation, sharing and socialising with other children and adults.
The Early Years Curriculum
We work within the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum to ensure all children learn and develop towards their potential.
Key Person and Groups
We operate a key person system providing you and your child with a sense of security.
The staff will plan for each week to include various activities based around a theme. Activities will be a balance between those that are adult-initiated and those that are child-initiated.
A Typical Day
- 8:00-9:00 – Settling in activities for 30 hour funded children
- 9:00 – Arrival of 15 hour per week children
- 9:15 – Hello Time in Keyworker Groups
- 9:25 – Discovery Time, child-initiated learning
- 10:25 – Rainbow Time in Keyworker Groups, adult-initiated session
- 10:40 – Continuation of Discovery Time
- 11:45-12:00 – Storytime and getting ready for home
- 11:45-12:30 – Lunch Club
- 12:30 – Arrival of afternoon children
- 12:45 – Hello Time in Keyworker Groups
- 12:55 – Discovery Time, child-initiated learning
- 2:25 – Rainbow Time in Keyworker Groups, adult-initiated session
- 2:40 – Continuation of Discovery Time
- 2:45-3:30 – Storytime and getting ready for home for 30 hour funded children
- 3:15-3:30 – Storytime and getting ready for home for the remaining children
More detailed information about all of the above as well as ‘Getting my child ready for Nursery’ and ‘What is expected of my child?’ is available in the Parent Information Booklet available to download.